Monday, June 23, 2014

Media

Sorry it has been a while since I wrote last!

I don't know if anyone else really has any problem with this or just me, but I am really picky about movies.  I have really been trying hard to make sure that what I actually watch matches what I say I believe in, what my standards are.  A few months ago I started to feel like (in my mind) I was almost LIVING in the movie.
 I thought about movies almost all the time.  I thought about words and phrases, both good and bad, and unfortunately the bad seemed to dominate my thoughts.  The same with certain scenes, etc. Sometimes I seemed to lose feeling.  I knew the movies were not good for me.  Even if it was a "great movie," a "family classic," something I'm grown up watching, I began noticing and remembering little details that did not fit with the way I really truly believe in living my life, even if my family was fine with it, it wasn't fine for me.
from: here
I began to search out either REALLY REALLY good movies, or at least look for something to know if the movies I was already watching and thinking about were really bad, or if it was just my imagination.  I looked in "For the Strength of Youth" under Entertainment and Media (I have never used For The Strength Of Youth so much in my life as I have this past year.  It seems to apply to my life more and more) and I found this.

First off it lists the scripture which comes from The Articles of Faith:

"We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."

I have been using this a lot lately because it really is an amazing outline for putting media in the proper place.  If it teaches anything opposite to these principles as being all right, or even encouraging it! I do my best to not put it into my life at all!



Next, it says:

"The information and entertainment provided through these media can increase your ability to learn, communicate, and become a force for good in the world. However, some information and entertainment can lead you away from righteous living. Choose wisely when using media because whatever you read, listen to, or look at has an effect on you. Select only media that uplifts you." If it uplifts me and "invites and entices me to do good" (Moroni 7:13)  then, I'd say it's pretty good.



Many times I have not had the courage to even tell myself, let alone others that I am not comfortable watching or listening to something.  But, I've been really working hard on it and people around me actually respect the way I feel and do their best to make everyone in the group be content and keep the Spirit near.


"When we are tempted to do things we should not do, let us listen to the loving warning of trusted family and friends, our beloved prophet, and always the Savior."
(—Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "Are You Sleeping through the Restoration?")



I heard a quote once that said something like "The most important relationship you will ever have is your relationship with your Heavenly Father and the Savior." So, as important as it is to have good relationships with friends and family and even people you don't really know, the person you want to please the most and who will make you feel pleased the most with yourself is the Savior.


I know that as we do our best to live our lives according to the standards set forth by the Lord, we will find increasing joy, a firmer resolve, deeper self-confidence, better relationships, a clear conscience and the Spirit will be able to stay near.

No comments:

Post a Comment