Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Bullying

I saw this video a few weeks ago and instantly connected with it.  Bullying occurs in SO MANY WAYS and it isn't even recognized as bullying half the time.  I know that even among some of my nearest and dearest friends there is a degree of bullying, sometimes, unfortunately and often unintentionally myself included. Sarcasm is a big part of it and low self-esteem is often a root of it.  We think that putting others down will raise us higher.  But it doesn't.  I feel very keenly the "victim end" of the bullying.  I have had many times when I have doubted my worth, and everything that anyone says seems to taunt me and say "see, I told you you aren't worth it." For anyone who has been on that end of (even unintentional) harsh words, I am very, very sorry and I want you to know that YOU ARE OF GREAT WORTH and you are LOVED! 

 Name calling is becoming ever more popular and focusing on weakness (or pretended weaknesses) or failures, etc is becoming ever more prevalent. Saying that such-and-such is a no-one, that they when they die no one will care, closing the door in peoples' faces metaphorically, emotionally, and even literally.  Friends are rarely valued anymore-or at least are rarely shown the respect and love that a true friend (and a Child of God!) needs and deserves.  Even the small "toss it quickly out there and see what happens" words can cut extremely deep, especially for someone who is already struggling, possibly with feelings of self-doubt or shaken faith, or feeling alone.  Language, both vocal (in front of people and behind their backs), suggested (such as body language) and even texted, blogged, facebooked, etc. should be UPLIFTING! That is what we have the ability to communicate for.  (Have you ever thought about why an animal can't talk and we can? We have the gift of speech! So, use it for good!)
(You can also find this video here.)

In the "Strength of Youth" pamphlet it says,

"Choose friends who use good language. Help others improve their language by your example. Be willing to politely walk away or change the subject when those around you use inappropriate language.
"Speak kindly and positively about others. Choose not to insult others or put them down, even in joking. Avoid gossip of any kind, and avoid speaking in anger. When you are tempted to say harsh or hurtful things, leave them unsaid...
"...Do not use profane, vulgar, or crude language or gestures, and do not tell jokes or stories about immoral actions...
"...How you communicate should reflect who you are as a son or daughter of God. Clean and intelligent language is evidence of a bright and wholesome mind. Good language that upliftsencourages, and compliments others invites the Spirit to be with you. Our words, like our deeds, should be filled with faithhope, and charity." ("Language"- For The Strength Of Youth) (Yes, I readjusted the order of a paragraph...)

I know that those I am around that I can have a clean, wholesome, uplifting conversation with are forever in my gratitude and I look up to them very much.  I hope that I can be that kind of a person for others and I am trying to be sensitive to the needs and feelings of EVERYONE around me and not just myself or those in my "circle of friends." I know that we will have much more confidence and help others's confidence grow stronger the more we try to uplift others in all we do and say (and ourselves!  often we are the ones we ridicule the most) we will find greater happiness, find good, strong friends and come closer to the Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment