Saturday, July 5, 2014

Girls Camp

Hi! I'm back!

I was at Girls Camp this week, which was pretty cool!  (If you want to know more about what Girls Camp is, click here.)


Here are a couple of photos that I took up at camp

Part of Girls Camp was talking about the women in the scriptures, particularly The Book of Mormon. (You can read it online here, learn more about it here, or request a completely free, no strings attached copy here). The fireside about the women was pretty amazing, talking in "first person" narrative about the women's lives.  There was Abish (click here for more about her story), Sariah, and Nephi's wife and a Sister of a Stripling Warrior.  I cried a bit during the one about the Sister of the Warrior.  
The Stripling Warriors
Stripling Warriors

What I think I gained the most from camp was that I want to be a righteous woman (and mother, grandmother, etc. eventually) in Zion, one who lives by faith and uses her knowledge, gifts and testimony to strengthen others and bring them to Christ. I want to be a virtuous woman who lives with integrity and knows who she is and can make wise choices based on her knowledge of good and evil and who knows that she has divine nature.  I don't think that the women in the scriptures (such as Rachel, Rebekah, Sarah, Ruth, Naomi and so many others) knew that they would be well known and respected and loved by so many people in so many nations.  But they lived their lives in a clean, righteous, pure way and because they did it for God and no one else, many look up to them. I know I do, and I want to follow their example.

"Farewell, My Stripling Warrior" by Del Parson, 1999

When I was on a hike at camp, I began going down a very steep hill and needed to watch my footing more than usual.  As I focused on the ground I suddenly stopped short-there was a Sego Lily.  Sego Lilies are one of my most favorite flowers, very rare, very unique, very beautiful, clean and white. They are so small, yet add so much to the world, at least to the little area they are in. Very often, I am sure they get completely missed and go unnoticed.  
Sego Lily



Sego Lilies are very precious to me.  Many times I think of people in relation to Sego Lilies because they are unique. They are Children of God. They are strong. They are beautiful inside and out and have much to give to the world no matter how small they are. Often they go unnoticed. But that doesn't mean that they are of any less worth-especially to Heavenly Father.  (Remember that little sparrows and lilies and other little things do not go unnoticed and unprotected and blessed by Him: "And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?" Matthew 6:28-30

I know that Heavenly Father watches over us and protects us, provides for us, blesses us and loves us. I know He encourages us and strengthens us to do what is right.  I know that we are all important and each have something amazing to give.  







No comments:

Post a Comment