Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Daunting Dentists and Grateful Greetings

Hi!
Today I went to the dentist. (dun, dun, dun) This is one place I usually DISLIKE going. Very much.  I won't go into everything, just that the thing I usually dislike the most is the metal toothpick (oh, the chills!). I hate the scraping on my teeth.  It's like listening to nails on a chalkboard, to me.  Anyway, we get to the dentist and I see a lady sitting there on the couch and I get this little feeling like I should maybe try sitting next to her.
But, of course my mind started saying, "But she's got earphones in.  I don't really know how to start a conversation with her.  She'll think I'm totally weird. It could go all wrong because of this and that." So I sat down somewhere else.  I was thinking out some more excuses when her daughter came out and they left.  I had missed an opportunity!  It's so hard to act on impressions.  Usually things work out fine in what would seem like a very awkward situation, but fear keeps me back.  I'm so silly sometimes!

I was the second one in my family to go back.  Instead of acting all timid and frightened today, though, I decided to be friendly.  I tried to talk cheerfully and comply willingly.  And I tried to keep my mouth open extra long instead of having to swallow every five seconds.  I noticed that the lady's scrub shirt was pretty cute and worked up the courage to tell her so. "Oh, thanks!" She responded.  She was super gentle on my teeth today (Hallelujah!) and even though I didn't tell her that, I did at least mention it to my mom.  There was another assistant that came in a little later. I noticed that she had hurt her wrist.  I asked her about it and were able to talk a bit.

Talking about talking, yesterday I was at the temple.  I had brought some family names to do work for and had to wait a little longer than and few people.  There was a lady who had brought in a 3 names to do and we ended up sitting next to each other.  Before I even could think of something to say she said hello and began talking about my name and how she loved it. We were courteous to each other ("You can go first") and smiled at each other whenever we passed each other.  The last time I saw her (before she left) we felt like friends.  I love it when within such a short amount of time I can make friends with someone! I am so glad that she was outgoing enough to say hello to me.  She really made my day!  Thank you, sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment